Complete List of Publications
The CalBRE offers many publications on topics of current interest to the consumer and licensees, such as the Real Estate Reference Book, which provides general information on many aspects of real estate practice; and the Real Estate Law book and CD, which contains the current Real Estate Law, the Commissioner's Regulations, and pertinent excerpts from other California codes.
All CalBRE publications are available online by clicking on the links below. To order publications by mail, submit an Publications Request (RE 350) to:
Bureau of Real Estate
P. O. Box 137006
Sacramento, CA 95813-7006
Fax (916) 263-8911
PDFs are viewable by e-reader devices. Please check with your e-reader device manufacturer for instructions on how to download and view the PDF documents on the DRE web site.
- Quick Guide for Landlords Hiring a Property Manager Landlord Brochure 14-264
- Quick Guide for Tenants Renting a Home
Tenant Brochure 14-264
The CalBRE releases two new brochures to help Landlords and Tenants avoid fraud. The quick guides help consumers ask the right questions to avoid falling victim to rental and property management fraud.
- A Consumer Guide to Filing Real Estate Complaints
#RE 51 (Rev. 3/14)
Explains the Department's complaint process.
- A Consumer Guide to Mortgage-Related Complaints
#RE 20 (Rev. 3/14)
Provides basic information about loan servicers, lenders, mortgage brokers, complaints, and contacts.
- A Guide for Residents Purchasing Their Mobilehome Park
#RE 34 (Rev. 11/01)
Answers questions about rental park conversions to resident ownership.
- A Homeowner's Guide to Foreclosure in California
#RE 15 (New 7/10)
Useful information for homeowners in financial distress who live in their homes.
- Bureau of Real Estate Brochure
Provides an overview of the Bureau of Real Estate, including history, department objectives, program areas and office locations.
- Financial Sense to White Picket Fence
This brochure provides helpful hints and tips relating to real estate financial literacy.
- Finding the Right Real Estate Agent: What You Should Do
#RE 16 (Rev 2/16)
Provides a checklist for hiring a real estate agent.
- Foreclosure Information for Homeowners
Explains the foreclosure process and possible alternatives to foreclosure.
- Fraud Warnings for California Homeowners in Financial Distress
Provides an overview of home loan modifications and where to find free foreclosure avoidance counseling.
- Living in a California Common Interest Development
#RE 39 (Rev. 8/16)
Overview of rights, duties and responsibilities of homeowner associations and homeowners. Explains CC&Rs.
- Loan Modification Self-Help Guide
#RE 21 (Rev. 3/14)
A step by step guide to doing your own loan modification.
- Preventing Real Estate Fraud: How to Protect Yourself and Your Home
Offers information on real estate fraud protection.
- Real Estate Consumer Recovery Account
#RE 3 (Rev. 3/14)
Provides an overview of the Real Estate Consumer Recovery Account and explains how to apply for payment.
- Reverse Mortgages - Is One Right for You?
Explains the pros and cons of reverse mortgages, a loan product geared toward senior citizens.
- Sources of Home Loans
Provides information about sources of home loans and homebuyer assistance programs as well as questions to ask when applying for a home loan and tips for borrowers.
- Surviving the Real Estate Escrow Process in California
#RE 23 (Rev. 3/14)
Information about the real estate escrow process, including tips and mistakes to avoid.
- Trust Deed Investments - What You Should Know!!
#RE 35 (Rev. 3/14)
Explains the basic steps and factors involved in trust deed investments.
- Using the Services of a Mortgage Broker
#RE 35A (Rev. 3/16)
Explains the basic steps and factors involved in a mortgage transaction handled by a broker.
- 2015 Real Estate Law Book and CD #RE 2 (Rev. 1/15)
Contains the Real Estate Law and Subdivided Lands Law, the Regulations of the Real Estate Commissioner, the Administrative Procedure Act and pertinent excerpts from other California Codes related to the practice of real estate.
- Broker Compliance Evaluation Manual
#RE 5 (Rev. 8/10)
Covers the important points of office procedure and trust fund handling by real estate brokers.
- Disclosures in Real Property Transactions
#RE 6 (Rev. 2005)
Describes disclosures required of sellers and real estate salespersons.
- eLicensing Online System Brochure
#RE 11 (Rev. 11/11)
Provides information for real estate examinees and licensees on the services available via DRE's interactive online eLicensing system.
- How to Obtain a Mortgage Loan Originator License Endorsement
#RE 19 New 10/11
This brochure sets forth the general requirements for obtaining a MLO License Endorsement.
- Instructions to License Applicants
#RE 4 (Rev. 1/13)
Provides information about how to obtain and maintain a California Real Estate License, a Prepaid Rental Listing Service License, and a Mortgage Loan Originator License Endorsement.
- Mortgage Loan Broker Compliance Manual
#RE 7 (Rev. 3/12)
Assists the real estate broker who engages in mortgage loan activities with assessing compliance with DRE requirements. Includes a checklist.
- Obtaining a California Real Estate Broker License (New 7/16)
Explains how to qualify for a California Real Estate Broker License.
- Obtaining a California Real Estate Salesperson License (New 7/16)
Explains how to qualify for a California Real Estate Salesperson License.
- Reference Book - A Real Estate Guide (Rev. 2010)
Covers real estate principles and practices, useful for licensing exam preparation.
- Trust Funds
#RE 13 (Rev. 1/14)
Explains requirements for proper handling of trust funds by real estate brokers and salespersons.
- Operating Cost Manual for Homeowners Associations
#RE 8 (Rev. 1/16)
Contains guidelines and worksheets for budget preparation and calculation of reserves and assessments.
- Reserve Study Guidelines for Homeowner Association Budgets
#RE 25 (Rev. 8/10)
Explains how to determine sufficient reserve funds.
- Subdivision Public Report Application Guide
#RE 9 (Rev. 6/11)
Provides instructions and explains what is required to apply for a subdivision public report.
- Timeshare Manual
Guidelines for Processing Time-Share Plan Applications for Public Report
- A Guide to Understanding Residential Subdivisions in California
Resource for everyone who has an interest in California subdivisions
- Residential Subdivision Buyer's Guide
Guide for consumers who are considering purchasing a home in a new subdivision in California